1. Referral form – We receive your request for a Befriender and your contact details using the self referral form.
2. Telephone chat – We will initially telephone the person being referred for a chat to arrange a home visit.
3. Home visit – Sefanit will visit you at home to introduce herself and to start to get to know you, so that we can find a good match for you with a volunteer befriender.
4. Volunteer assigned -We will endeavour to find a suitable volunteer befriender to start visiting you. We will consider personality, experience, interests and availability.
5. Introductory visit– When we have found a suitable volunteer, we will telephone you to arrange a convenient time to visit you and introduce the volunteer to you. Assuming this meeting goes well, you and the volunteer will then agree regular ongoing visits.
6. Regular visits begin – Provided the above proceeds satisfactorily, visits will continue according to the availability of the volunteer and the need of the friend.
7. Reviews will be carried out to check the progress of the befriending match and to provide any support when and where needed.
What you can expect from us.
To always be treated with respect, politeness, kindness and honesty. After a trial period we will ask you to confirm if you wish to continue to be visited by your allocated volunteer. If you decide not to continue with your allocated volunteer, but wish to continue with the scheme, we will endeavour to find another volunteer to visit as soon as possible.
Your volunteer will visit you at a convenient time place and frequency that will be arranged between yourselves. If for any reason the volunteer is unable to visit you at the agreed time the volunteer will give you as much notice as possible.
We will always respect your confidentiality. We will not contact other people or discuss personal information with other agencies, unless you give us permission to do so. The exception to this is if we believe that you are at risk of harm or if you are in need of urgent medical attention.
What we would ask of you
To let your Befriender, know as soon as possible if you wish to cancel a visit. That you do not ask your volunteer to undertake personal care, to dispense your medication, or to lift you or any heavy objects. This is for your own safety and that of your volunteer. If you ask your volunteer to do something for you and they say that they are unable to do it (e.g. handling money) that you will respect their decision. To always show your volunteer politeness, respect kindness and honesty.